Thursday, April 06, 2006

notes from a teacher training meeting

This is training week, where we are presented with vaulted depictions of lessons hovering in a glittering astral realm of Platonic ideation. During one particularly mind-numbing moment, I was struck by the contrast between the teaching philosophies of contemporary western education; praise, encouragement, positive reinforcement and so on – and a sudden vision of the North Korean police state with its drill-sergeant-perfect synchronization of the human being to a machinelike ordered monster, somehow brutal, remorseless, pathological. Kim standing on a hill surveying his geometrical fields of human crops. Not a shepherd; a harvester. Then suddenly, the idea that Kim and his ilk are bad teachers. That teachers, the lords of their small realms, are by their very nature tiny autocrats; dictators; leaders; visionaries; guides and prophets. As above, so below. A class that collapses into chaos or succumbs to vicious routine or quails in fear of the master’s whipwood cane – these are the small haemorrages of society. I have had terrorist students, who through jealousy or boredom or frustration or simple malice, systematically seek to take apart the nation that I and we have built. Each class has its accountants and its fundamentalists, its sheep and wolves. Who am I here? Caesar or Stalin? Victoria or Ghandi? As the lectures wore on I found my mind wandering even further, to a questioning of a fundamental premise of language teaching – the notion that teaching is a transmission of knowledge. And of course in practice a language is no static datum but rather a fluxious process, a Deleuzian becoming, a way. Reminded of martial arts training – perhaps this is another, less trodden, path? Asian students cannot learn my English – my idioms, my inflections - they must instead gather the tools and skills and experience with which to make their own. And this they do and are doing, Oxford be damned.

1 comment:

Lance Black said...

I agree paul. ‘facilitator’ I believe is the industry jargon; a teacher who does not so much teach as catalyse a fertile learning environment or somesuch. It’s a wonderfully intricate and complex dance, this teaching game. More than once I have felt like a conductor directing a linguistic orchestra, and sometimes I see myself standing before the assembled players, arms in motion, head tilting to one student as I draw them into the composition. It is not without reason that the classical teacher wields a baton. In the room when the door is closed the world is sealed airtight; hermetic; plane-shifted – and in this tiny realm new laws spring into being; a new physics; a new politic.

unfortunately i dont think education is a science (i am sure some people would bite my head off for saying that.) it approaches a science at the point where it becomes too rigid and structured to be of any use. it is a deeply complex, deeply subjective discipline. as many ways of teaching, perhaps, as there are not teachers, but students.