Thursday, November 18, 2004

You aint worth the blood that runs in your veins

It's 1 o'clock. I have work in a few hours.

Recently fascinated with Intellectual Property law, of all things. I teach a private class to a lawyer, Ms. Chie, every other Thursday. She is currently involved in defending a female stalker who is pathologically obsessed with the local 'Kuroneko Takkyubin' delivery truck man. She buys shit just so he will visit. She follows him around on her bicycle and memorizes his routes. Chie is more interested in IP, however. We are currently looking at articles about the patenting of GM crops being sold/pushed on Iraqi farmers by American corporations. Fascinating. How can you patent something which by its very nature is a replicator. That is, the thing itself violates the patent, creates new copies, blows away in the wind and ends up on someone else's property. The seeds are illegal to own, the farmers have to destroy them after each harvest. We're also looking at media IP law, and next week I have chosen an interesting Wired interview with Jeff Tweedy from the band Wilco to kick off the lesson. "Music is not a Loaf of Bread."

All this has sparked a desire in me recently to pursue a legal career. A sudden thing. The more I think about the ideas I wrestled with during my undergraduate degree - in particular the intersection of art and postmodernity - the more I begin to think about Law. That is, in the legal field there exists a practical realisation of some of the theoretical issues I was and am so passionately interested in. So now I am looking at law schools in Australia, Canada, and elsewhere. My first thoughts: I need a lot more money.

This morning I spent doing laundry, visiting the dermatologist as I do once a month, and playing old Dylan songs on my beat-up acoustic. I have tickets to see Howl this coming Monday with Misaki. On Saturday I'm going to Akatombo with Junko and all that crew. Noel said he'd come too. Then Tuesday I promised to go to some festival in Aoyama with Mizuki. Meanwhile I have student counselling reports to write, I have to deal with this weird mother who hits her 2-year-old daughter before class and insists we treat the child 'as you would an adult,' and prepare for my University classes on Friday morning.

PS. I love Firefox. A few minor quibbles (such as no right-click options to change text encoding) but otherwise excellent.

No comments: